Notepad by Microsoft is a generic text editor installed with all of Microsoft Windows versions for example Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10.
- It gives the interface for editing text files.
- It opens only plain text files.
- It reads plain text files.
Microsoft Notepad reads only files that are in plain text. It does not contain features such as grammar checking, font sizing and all other features that are found in Microsoft Word.
Uses of Notepad
The program gives the interface for editing and viewing plain text files. Basic features for formatting text is provided unlike the one provided in Word processors like Microsoft Word for example page format and graphics format.
It is used to encode different texts such as Unicoding, UTF-8, and ANSI.
- It loads very fast in all types of computers.
- It does not support pictures and formatting of text like putting in bold and italics, changing colors and many others.
Main File Extension
This is the most common and used extension by Notepad.
Others File Extension
The list of supported file formats in Notepad, if you think an extension is wrong and is not supported by this software let us know by leaving a comment below.